Learn how to start a blog right now in less than 15 minutes. Want to set up your blog fast? Jump to: Step by step guide to Start a Blog.
Starting a blog is one of the most lucrative online business you can start in 2021.
In this detailed step-by-step blogging for beginner’s guide, we show you exactly how you can start your own blog, become a blogger and manage your blog properly to start generating income – the right way.
A quick rundown of the steps and blog creation process we cover in this blogging for beginners guide to start a successful blog. If you are in a hurry, use the get started button to jump straight to the step 1.
How to Become a Blogger in 6 Easy Steps
- Choose a blog niche, pick a domain and name your blog.
- Get your blog hosting and start your blog by adding WordPress.
- Pick a simple blog design theme to make your blog unique.
- Add key blogging plugins to promote your blog and track stats.
- Optimize your blog for search engine visibility and organic traffic.
- Write unique content to create a blog that your readers love.
Ever wondered if you can really start a blog that is meaningful and make enough money blogging?
Well, the truth is, yes, you can, and it is not as difficult as you think. You do not have to be famous or a popular figure to start your own blog and turn it into a profitable business.
What you will be needing to start a blog that makes money
In order to start a blog, you will need the following:
- Blog niche: A blog niche is ideally the topic your blog is centered on. This can either be something you are passionate about, something you want to learn more about or something you just want to start writing about.
- Domain name (your blog name): A domain name is the address people type into their browser to access your blog. I.e. yourblogname.com.
- Blogging platform (content management system) and hosting: A blogging platform (also called “blog sites” or “content management system”) is an online service that manages your blog content, images, design files and lets you publish your content on the internet in the form of a blog.
Starting a blog in 2021 is a great way to share your ideas online. Interestingly, you can create and manage your own blog, even if it’s your first time learning how to make a blog.
How to Start a Blog in 6 Simple Steps
Follow these 6 simple steps to create a blog today.
- Choose a blog niche and pick a domain name. Select a blog niche that sparks your interest and pick a suitable domain name for your blog.
- Choose a blogging platform (and web hosting) to start your blog. Use the best blog sites to create and manage your blog.
- Start your blog by adding WordPress. Setup your blog by installing WordPress.
- Select a simple blog template to design your blog. Make your blog your own – design and customize it as you like for your readers.
- Start blogging – write and publish blog posts. Write compelling content to create a blog that your readers love.
The quick start action plan in the boxes is a quick and fast way for you to start your own blog without reading in detail every step. It saves you time if you want to get started immediately. Follow closely and practice as you learn.
Follow these detailed steps to start your own blog today:
Step 1: Choose a blog niche and pick a domain name
As with every other thing in life, including building a business website, to start a successful blog that makes money you need to first make a plan.
In the case of a blog, you need a niche. What that simply means is your blog topic, what your blog will be all about or what you would love to make blog posts on.
Blog Set up Quick Start Action Plan – Step 1
- Write down some of the things you’d like to blog about or teach on your blog.
- Narrow down the list to the one that you find joy in doing, teaching or learning.
- Come up with a suitable domain name. I.e. yourname.com.
- Go to A2 Hosting, type in the domain name to see if it is available.
- If it is available, write it down, if it’s not, check for related names available.
The first step to start a blog that will eventually be successful is to choose a blog niche. The reason is because, this is what you’re going to be blogging/writing about and well, hopefully start making money from.
Choose a niche you feel you can do well at. It could either be something you are already good at, something you are interested in learning about or your personal life experience.
Every blog niche is profitable, you do not have to put in too much energy into this since it’s your first time building a blog. Just choose something you can freely write and blog about.
Pick a descriptive domain name for your blog
Now that you have finally decided on what to blog about, and come up with a blog topic idea for your blog, you will need a domain name that fits well to start creating your blog. It’s time to pick and register a domain name for your blog.
The first thing that comes to my mind when setting up a blog is getting a good domain name. Choosing a domain name is similar to choosing a company name — it requires thoughtfulness and consideration.
How to choose a good domain name for your blog
Your domain name is your identity on the web; you want to make sure you choose a name that not only fits your business, but is also easy to find and promote.
These tips will help you choose a good domain name for your blog.
- Keep the domain name short and simple.
- Make it Brandable: Allows room for growth.
- Avoid using hyphens and other Symbols.
TIP: If you are confused about choosing the perfect domain name for your blog or business, don’t worry, use a domain name generator to generate a domain name for your blog.
Type in your seed keyword and the business name generator will give you some unique available domain names to choose from. Select anyone you like and continue with the detailed steps to build a successful blog.
Step 2: Choose a blogging platform (and web hosting) to start your blog
Your blog platform is the online service responsible for keeping your blog online and managing things such as content, images and overall design of your blog.
There are lots of paid and free blogging platforms you can use to create a blog. The only problem with free blog sites is that, your blog can get deleted at any point without notice. crazy right? yea, I know.
To avoid this, it is best to self-host your blog using a web host and WordPress. This way, you are 100% in charge of your blog.
Blog Set up Quick Start Action Guide – Step 2
- Click here to go to A2 Hosting for your blog hosting setup.
- Click on the “Get Started” button on the homepage.
- Select a suitable web hosting plan.
- Enter in your domain name.
- Check to see if everything looks good and proceed to complete your web hosting setup.
There are many services you can use to start a blog or website. You may be tempted to use a free service, but know you’ll be limited, and in some cases, quite severely. You get what you pay for, as they say. Using a paid-for service isn’t expensive. It’s a no-brainer in my opinion.
How to Set up Your Blog Hosting
A blog web hosting is basically the company that puts your website up on the internet so everyone else can see it. Everything will be saved on there. Think of it as a computer hard-drive on the internet where your blog will be saved.
While there are many WordPress web hosting providers that handles your web hosting needs, A2 hosting has over the years grew to become the fastest web hosting company to host blogs and websites.
#1. Head over to your desired web hosting provider to get started.
(This link will open in a new window so you can reference these instructions as you work).
#2. Click the “Get Started” button.
You will be taken to the page where you will have to choose a web hosting plan for your blog and websites, even if you decide to start a new blog.
#3. Select a suitable web hosting plan you can afford.
Select a suitable blog hosting plan for your blog. For A2 hosting, we advise you choose either the drive (if you are on a budget) or turbo boost plan for your blog web hosting. The turbo boost makes your blog loads very fast and will overall improve your blog SEO (google search engine visibility).
Notwithstanding, if you have a good amount to spare, then choose the turbo package, but if you are on a budget, go ahead and choose the basic plan. You can upgrade later as you grow.
#4. Enter your domain name.
Enter the domain name you want to use for your blog, which is same as your blog name and URL.
Select your preferred domain extension (I’d go with “.com”) and click “Search Domain”.
If the domain is available, you will get a success/congratulatory message.
If it’s already been taken, you will be required to try another name.
Keep trying till you get an available domain name. You can always use a domain name generator to generate available names.
Click on the “Continue button” to proceed to the next stage.
#5. Check to see if everything looks good and proceed to complete your blog hosting setup.
At this stage, you will be taken to the “Domain Configuration” page (for people who registered a new domain).
Just click on the “Continue Button” to proceed. A domain name privacy helps keep your personal information and identity safe on the web. Once done, you will be presented with an overview of the things you have selected. Click on the “Checkout” button if everything is as you chose.
Fill out the registration forms accordingly with real information, for verification purposes. Don’t worry, they are safe.
Enter in your billing information and click on the “Complete Order” button at the bottom of the page.
Congratulations! You now have a blog hosting. Next is to install WordPress and finally get your blog published online live.
Step 3: Start your blog by adding WordPress
At this point all you have to do now is to install WordPress to setup your blog and get it published live online to start blogging and sharing your ideas.
Once logged into your A2 control panel (cPanel), you will see so many icons and headings, do not let them confuse you, just locate “WordPress” under softaculous app installer section (as shown in the image below), and click on it to begin.
How to install WordPress content management system to make your blog
On the WordPress installation menu, click “Install” to start the WordPress content management system installation.
- Choose where to install WordPress.
Choose your domain from the dropdown menu if it’s not already chosen for you. Leave the directory field blank unless you have a good reason to create a subfolder, which is unlikely if you are just starting.
- Enter in your blog name and descriptive title.
Under “Site Settings”, enter in your blog name and descriptive title. Write a very brief description in the description box. (I.E. ITT VIS – Visual Information Solutions – learn how to start a blog today.
Where “ITT VIS” is the name of your blog and “learn how to start a blog” is the blog descriptive title).
You get the point, right? Just type in the title you wish to give your blog.
- Choose an Admin Username.
Do not use the word “admin” as your username, for security purposes. Enter in the name you want your users to see o your new blog.
- Choose a secured password for your blog.
These will be what you use to login to WordPress once it’s installed. Use a secured password you can remember.
- Enter your email address.
Enter in your email address under the admin email and in the box that says “email installations to”. Make sure it’s your real and original email address because, all of your new blog information will be sent there.
- Click the “Install Now” button to begin your WordPress blog installation.
After WordPress has been successfully installed, you will get a congratulatory info. on screen, telling you your installation was successful. Take note of the information to access your new WordPress site. This information will also be sent to you via email.
Congratulations! You made it! You have successfully created a blog for yourself.
- Login to your new blog to start a blog post.
There are many things you can do at this point. But first, let’s just go over to our WordPress blog and login.
To do this, look at the login URL provided by A2 and click on it. This is how you will be logging in to your WordPress dashboard and updating your blog with contents and more, including design.
Now that you’ve successfully created your own blog, it’s time to design your new blog, edit a few things, create new blog pages and write your first blog post.
Step 4: Select a simple blog template to design your blog
A beautifully well designed and structured blog attracts readers, increases your UX (user experience), improves your blog search visibility and keep your readers happy.
If you love how well this website you are reading now is designed, then you will feel the need to have a quality web design for your blog layout and structure.
At this point of your blog set up, all you have to do is to design or at least make your blog a little attractive.
If you like the design of this blog and how easy it is to read, you certainly will feel the need to get one like this for yourself.
I know you might be wondering how you can design your blog to improve user experience, especially since you are just a beginner with no web design knowledge.
Well, the simple solution to easily design your blog is to use a good blog theme or blog template, and you do not need to be a programmer/web developer to do that.
To do that, follow these simple steps.
- On the left side of your blog dashboard, you will see a menu called “appearance”
- Click on the “appearance” menu. This should open your blog themes page
- Click on “Add New” button to select from dozens of blog design templates
- Click on the “Popular” tab. We recommend you select the Astra theme.
- Choose any theme you like and click “Install”
- Once installation is complete, click “Activate” to begin customizing your blog design.
Even though a majority of you following this step-by-step guide to make a blog are beginners looking to create your first blog, you can still be able to design and customize your blog like a professional. It only takes a good blog theme or template added to your blog to get it all done.
Step 5: Optimize your blog for search engines
Now that your new blog is published and live online, it is time to get it ready for your readers and make it easily accessible for the search engines to crawl and index your blog posts and pages.
To do this, install key blogging plugin such as Yoast from the plugin directory and activate it.
Visit the blog permalink tab on the left side of your blog dashboard and select how you want you blog posts URLs to display.
Step 6: Start Blogging – write and publish blog posts
So far, you’ve established a domain name (your blog URL), chosen your blog hosting site, set up a blog theme, and you are ready to go. Your framework is complete.
How to start and write a blog post
- On the left side of your blog dashboard, you will see a “Post” navigation link
- Click on the “Post” tab
- Click “Add New” button to add a new blog post
- Enter in your blog post title on the title section
- Start writing your blog post
Start blogging. Write and publish new blog posts, share your blog on social media, create a YouTube account to share video content and keep promoting your blog.
Blogging for Beginners: Frequently asked questions on starting a blog
Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about creating a blog, starting a profitable blog and more.
Want to Start a Blog for Free?
Follow these 5 easy steps to start a blog for free.
1. Signup with a free blogging platform to build your blog for free
If you want to create a blog for free of cost, the first thing you need to do is to choose and signup with a free blog site platform.
Some of the best free blogging sites to create a blog for free include Blogger (blogger.com), WordPress (wordpress.com), Medium (medium.com), Wix (wix.com) and Weebly (weebly.com).
2. Click on “Create New Blog” and name your blog
Choose a descriptive name for your blog. Usually, your blog URL takes the domain name of the blog site you use to make your blog. i.e. yourblogname.blogger.com – where “yourblogname” is the name of your blog and “blogger.com” is the domain name of the free blog hosting platform.
3. Design your blog with a free blog template
All blogging platform have a library of free blog templates you can use to quickly design and style your blog, regardless of the free blogging site you are using for your blog set up.
Choose from a variety of free blog templates or use a premium template if you need more customization and design functionality.
4. Add crucial blog pages to help your readers know you better
Some crucial blog pages you need to immediately create on your blog are:
- About page.
- Contact page.
5. Write blog posts and start blogging
Start blogging by writing blog posts. Share your blog posts on social media to get your initial blog readers and people to visit your blog.
How to Create a Free Blog with Blogger
To create a free blog, follow these simple steps:
- Visit blogger.com and sign in using your Gmail.
- Click on the down arrow on the left.
- Click “New Blog”.
- Enter a name for your blog and click next.
- Choose your blog URL and save.
- Select a template to customize your blog.
- Start blogging.
Do make sure you comply with the blogger content policy and its terms of service. Blogger is a free blogging platform provided and managed by google, and your blog might get deleted if you go against the blogger policy.
Recap: How to Make a Blog Step-by-Step for Beginners
- Step 1: Make a plan for your blog content and pick a domain name.
- Step 2: Choose a blogging platform (and web hosting) for your blog set up.
- Step 3: Start your blog by adding WordPress.
- Step 4: Select a simple blog template to design your blog.
- Step 5: Optimize your blog for search engines.
- Step 6: Start Blogging – write and publish blog content.
Having your own blog comes with many great feelings and fun, as you can write about whatever you want, get recognized and get your voice heard across the world. More interesting is that you can get paid blogging while doing the things you love.
Do you love dog grooming or pets in general? Then start a pet blog! Want to write about your travels in Kansas? Create a blog and share your experience with the rest of the world! Want to earn money online? Yeah! Start a blog and get paid blogging while doing the things you love. It’s total freedom to do what you want, when you want and how you want.
Anyone who can access the internet and post on any online platform can create a blog for free, either by using a free blog maker such as Wix, free blog sites like Blogger or a website builder. It’s that easy, but if you want to start a successful blog that makes money online, then it requires a little investment, dedication, patience and constant work.
While this guide teaches you how to start a blog for free or for business, and outlines the step-by-step process to help you make a blog, growing your new blog to the point where it starts making lots of money online is a whole different thing altogether.
However, with time, consistency and further research, your blog will eventually become profitable.